Help to Buy


  • Help to Buy-Wales is a Government-backed shared equity loan scheme launched here in Wales on 2nd January. Its aim is to assist buyers who cannot afford a large deposit to access a mortgage.
  • Available to first time buyers and those already on the property ladder the Help to Buy-Wales scheme requires just a 5% deposit and a mortgage of up to 75% of the property value.
  • Purchasers pay just 80% of the property price now and the remaining 20% is provided by a Government equity loan which is interest free for the first 5 years which could make the monthly mortgage repayment lower.
  • Help to Buy-Wales is available on all new build homes up to the value of £300,000.


Help to Buy – Wales: Shared Equity Loan Calculator

Help to Buy – FAQ’s

Where is Help to Buy available?

Help to Buy is currently available on our Moriah Mews development in Risca, and our Maes y Haf development in Fleur de Llys, Blackwood.

How does the equity loan work?

The Welsh Government will provide you with an equity loan up to 20% of the property value. It is interest free for the first five years. From year 6 a fee of 1.75% is payable and will rise annually by RPI inflation plus 1%.

What types of mortgages are available with Help to Buy?

Repayment mortgages are the only option available on this scheme

Where can I get financial advice from?

We would be happy to put you in touch with a panel of recommended financial advisers who can assist with finding the right mortgage for you.